A charming marital advice book from 1879, containing an original wedding certificate dated 1887, plus additional ephemera:
- By Rev. Samuel Cutler. Originally published in 1876 by Lockwood, Brooks & Co., with copyright transferred to the non-denominational evangelical Christian American Tract Society in 1879.
- Advice and encouragement for the bride and groom, with essays and quotations from a wide variety of authors, experts, and clergy, from William Shakespeare to Oliver Wendell Holmes.
- Inside the book are:
- A photographic negative (looks to be from the early 1960s)
- Antique trading card (highly collectible on its own) from Wanamaker's in Philadelphia
- An original marriage certificate (I believe these came with the book as a folded, attached page to be removed for signing). It is signed by bride, groom, and witnesses on Nov. 12, 1887, in San Bernardino, California (names obscured in the photos, but easily read in person).
- A cute "Jest Married" cartoon drawing clipped from a newspaper.
Dimensions: just under 5.5"/14cm high x 4"/10cm wide
Condition: Old, but holding together and all the pages are there. Front and back covers (feel like leather) are in good shape. Only the right-hand front moire end paper has detached. The spine is split on the inside. Someone spilled ink at the top of the book, as you can see in the photos. It's completely readable, very charming, and would make a lovely and thoughtful gift for a vintage-loving bride or groom to be.
☞ Our items are not newly manufactured "vintage style" pieces. They are true vintage, at least 30 years old. Please read condition report provided above. ☜
Notes: Significant shipping overages (where applicable) will be refunded. International customers are responsible for any taxes or import fees.