40s or Antique North African Embroidered Cotton Jacket
This incredible jacket is completely covered with hand-embroidered birds and flowers in rich shades of burgundy, pink, brown, yellow, and green. From 1945 at the very latest, and potentially much older (early 1900s).
- Exterior and lining are cotton, embroidery is wool
- Single-button (also embroidered) + loop closure
- Three-season weight, soft, comfortable, and light
- Acquired from a close friend of the original owner. The jacket was made and purchased in Northern African (Morocco or Algeria) and carried home to New York by the friend's soldier boyfriend (later her husband), after WWII.
Labels: none - hand-made, with hand embroidery
Fiber/Care: no tags, feels like lightweight cotton twill with wool embroidery, lined with a lightweight, gauze-y, open-weave cotton / dry-cleaning recommended to prevent potential color run
Condition: There are a few moth nibbles, a few areas where seams were strained, and the interior has what appears to be water stains (they don't show on the exterior). Overall, completely wearable and in good condition. Colors are vibrant. Please see collage photos and close-ups.
* We've had this North African embroidered jacket professionally dry-cleaned and it is ready to wear.*
*** The jacket is smaller than the measurements might suggest. I wear a modern size 2/4, and the jacket fits me, but without as much wiggle room as you'd think. My arms are a bit chubby, and the sleeves are snug on me if I wear a long-sleeve t-shirt beneath. It fits Delphine the mannequin with room to spare. She measures bust 32" and has 9.25" biceps.***
shoulders: 17"/43cm (don't be fooled, it's not wide)
circumference at biceps: ~14"/35.5cm
bust: just shy of 40"/1015.cm with button closed, but best up to 36"
across hips at hem: 46"/116.5cm
☞ Our items are not newly manufactured "vintage style" pieces. They are true vintage, at least 30 years old, unless otherwise specified. Please read condition report provided above. ☜
Notes: International customers are responsible for any taxes or import fees.
- For help with sizing, please visit the FITTING ROOM.
- Ask us a question about this item.