A 1940s party dress in fire-engine red.
- Not only does it look fabulous and feel divine, it has unbelievably complex and detailed construction.
- Two-layer chiffon bodice has bust and vertical darts over an intricately finished, corset-like inner foundation with hook&eyes up the back, a metal zipper on the outer layer.
- The skirt has three layers: The outer layer is sheer chiffon, with hand-made, stitched-down pleats to the hips, and doubled at the bottom third to create visual interest, fullness, and outstanding movement. Beneath is a layer of very soft silk tulle, with a double ruffle at the bottom for fullness. Underneath that is an inner lining which itself is a double layer of sheer chiffon affixed at the hem to a silky smooth "slip."
- There are no raw edges. Even the tulle hems are finished! No time or effort was spared in the creation of this beautiful, dreamy dress. It was clearly a labor of love.
- Zips up the back with a delicate metal Eclair zipper. One large snap secures the waist, and a row of teeny tiny snaps holds the outer chiffon skirt closed.
Labels: none - home sewn by someone with patience and skill
Fiber/Care: no tags, all silk, dry-clean only
Condition: there are a few minor stains on the bodice and larger stains on the skirt which get lost in the folds (see photos), there is wear to the silk at the underarms, and a few weakened spots here and there. No shattering. Strong and wearable.
There were velvet-covered "steels" (as underwires were known back when) at the bust, but because they'd gone a bit wonky and would certainly have been terribly uncomfortable, we snipped the basting and removed them.
bust: 34"/86.25cm plus darts
bodice: 9"/22.5cm center front
hips: 42"/106.5 (inner lining, no stretch)
skirt length: 28.5"/72cm
hem sweep lining: 60"/152.5cm
hem sweep of outer layer: full circle+
Sorry, the Whiting & Davis 50s statement necklace shown has sold.
☞ Our items are not newly manufactured "vintage style" pieces. They are true vintage, at least 30 years old. Please read condition report provided above. ☜
Notes: Significant shipping overages (where applicable) will be refunded. International customers are responsible for any taxes or import fees.