50s Sheath Dress & Jacket Set
Vintage 1950s sarong-style sheath with matching jacket, beautifully made:
- Diagonally gathered asymmetrical bodice
- Nipped waist with hip bow
- Green, red, golden yellow and white watercolor floral silk
- Fully lined
- Pinked seams, hem tape. Metal back zip with top hook&eye.
- Short, kimono-cut three-quarter sleeve jacket has underarm gussets and closes with a single snap.
Another gorgeous piece of wearable history from the estate of Dorothy E.
Labels: none - almost certainly home sewn by Dorothy, with skill and care
Fiber/Care: unmarked, burn test indicates silk, with acetate lining, dress has a crisp, cool hand
Condition: there is minor color shift at the underarms on the jacket interior only. oddly enough, Dorothy seems to have neglected to add the second closure to the jacket. Perhaps she liked the asymmetrical effect of the single closure, or she may have moved on to other projects. the markings for placement of the missing closure are hidden by the pattern and inconspicuous unless you're looking very closely. Of course you could add it, if desired.
We have many of Dorothy's wonderful clothes, and this set is slightly roomier than most. Our pet theory is that she wore it in the months after giving birth.
*We've had this dress and bolero set professionally dry-cleaned and it is ready to wear.*
bust: up to 37"/94cm
hips (9" below waist): 40"/101.5cm
sleeves (underneath): 9"/22.5cm
length: 15"/38cm front, 16"/40.5cm back
☞ Our items are not newly manufactured "vintage style" pieces. They are true vintage, at least 30 years old. Please read condition report provided above. ☜
Notes: Significant shipping overages (where applicable) will be refunded. International customers are responsible for any taxes or import fees.
- For help with sizing, please visit the FITTING ROOM.
- Ask us a question about this item.