From 1916, a deep black silk dress with beaded bodice detail.
- Sheer silk chiffon bodice and sleeves over an opaque bodice lining.
- Skirt is also two layers, with a more-fitted lining over a flowing outer layer in crisp woven silk and sheer chiffon.
- Three-quarter sleeves have turned-back detail with decorative covered buttons.
- Dress closes at the side, front, and shoulder with several snaps and a central row of hooks and eyes on the interior bodice.
- Extremely high quality. Feels heavenly. Perfect for "real life" or for that Downton Abbey event.
From the OSA collection.
Labels: Franklin & Simon Co. Fifth Avenue N.Y.
The first Franklin Simon store opened at 414 Fifth Avenue in NYC in 1903 and remained in business until 1977. The company specialized in imported European goods at domestic prices.
Fiber/Care: unmarked, feels to be entirely silk, with a cotton inner waist ribbon
Condition: Better than good for its age. There are several tiny holes (no shattering), a few small tears (some mended, some not). There is discoloration and weakening at the underarms. None of the flaws stand out or detract from the overall beauty of the dress. It presents as perfect. A couple of the decorative sleeve buttons and an interior hook&eye or two are missing. The sash is several inches longer than the waistband when snapped closed at the existing snaps. This was the style at the time. It can easily be tucked in at the end, as we did, to create the look shown in the first photo. There's a curious piece of black lace at the upper inner bodice. It appears to have been added later, and can easily be removed.
*This antique 1910s dress is clean and ready to wear.*
- your body measurements should be smaller than those of the dress -
bodice: 16"/40.5cm plus blouson
sleeves: 17.5"/44.5cm (as hemmed)
hips (at inner lining): 36"/91.5cm
skirt length (at center front): 34"/86.25cm
(lining and overskirt are both slightly longer in back)
length (center back): 50"/127cm
sash: 4.5"/11.5cm wide (at snaps),
36"/91.5cm snaps to snaps, and 38"/96.5cm total
☞ Our items are not newly manufactured "vintage style" pieces. They are true vintage, at least 20 years old. Please read condition report provided above. ☜
Notes: International customers are responsible for any taxes or import fees.